Communicating Climate Crisis Issues
Vancouver ChangeCamp 2010
Facilitator: E. Harrison
How to create an ‘aha’ moment for everyone so that we can create change in time for it to have a meaningful impact on changing climate?
- It’s about (re)framing the message in a way that’s relevant for people as well as addressing what makes sense.
- People don’t want to be told what to do with their lives.
- Communicating around climate change can focus on health issues and renewable energy.
- Need tool emphasizing positive impact on env & climate. Like reverse carbon footprint counter.
- How can we use/build apps to demonstrate the complexities and externalizations of the issues?
- What would app look like that takes action beyond individual behavior change to societal level?
Questions to ask (forum idea ) to help facilitate ‘aha’ moment:
- How much do you spend on insurance per year? Very low probability of a lot of the disasters actually happening yet a very high probability of climate crisis.
- Why spend thousands on insurance and only hundreds on sustainability/climate issues?
Answer: It’s a lot to do with the immediacy/speed of disaster – one will destroy the biz instantly and one will only have impact much later.
The Empathic Civilisation by RSA Animate and Jeremy Rifkin http://bit.ly/9z3jQj, Interesting projects surfacing now around positive visions for a sustainable future.